2017 Wrapped Up

This time last year, I was in a bad place.
Not long out of an abusive 4 year relationship and seeing someone new who treated me like shit, I certainly was not in the festive spirit. I was simply "getting by" and wishing that Christmas would pass and the pressure "to be with the one you love" would stop making me feel like I was worthless and alone. With a mindset like that, my relationship with the people around me and unfortunate re-encounters with my ex, it's no surprise that I hit rock bottom and found myself on anti-depressants and crying to my GP.

Fast forward to May, I was feeling good. I had chucked the twat that treated me like shit for what I thought was the last time (spoiler, went back there one last time didn't it) and blew a good half of my savings on a trip to Thailand.

It was bloody amazing. It was the most independent I'd ever felt. I'd never traveled further than Europe and I most certainly caught "the bug". The bucket list is now bigger than ever.

 

Just before leaving for Thailand, I accepted a new job that would start soon after touching back down in the UK. Unfortunately, due to a lack of training and struggling with another bout of poor mental health, I lasted two months before accepting a better paid (but not quite in the right career direction) position at my old company.

And that is when things turned for me.

I went back into my old work place with a completely different mindset. Feeling older, more mature and so grateful for how lucky I had been, things took off. My position (once restricted to administration) branched into so many different avenues, from events to financial planning. I started a training plan to obtain my Dipoma in Financial Planning.

I moved out of my family home into my own flat: a big deal as someone who has always lived in the country to being right in the center of town. Whilst I'm still terrified of being hit with a bill I can't pay, I am loving the independence, being able to fill my little place with all my favourite things and cooking to my hearts content.

But best of all, I met my current boyfriend.

5 months later, we are still together and enjoying all the excitement that a relatively new relationship brings. Planning exciting plans ahead and celebrating Christmas together.
A lot can change in a year and I couldn't be happier.

Post a Comment